Welcome to the Japanese Language Department
The Japan Foundation London's Japanese Language Department is part of the Japan Foundation London, and promotes and supports Japanese teaching in the UK.
We run training courses for teachers, and produce and distribute teaching materials. Schools, universities and teachers can apply for our annual funding programmes. We also support learners of Japanese, and distribute information and answer enquiries on all aspects of Japanese teaching and learning in the UK.
Primary Japanese Campaign
From September 2014, it will be compulsory for primary schools maintained in England to teach a foreign language of their choosing to Key Stage 2 pupils. In response to this, the Japan Foundation have launched the Primary Japanese Campaign 2014, in order to support primary schools and teachers offering, or aspiring to offer, Japanese language lessons for their pupils.
Click here to read more about the campaign, and how you can join in.
Japan Foundation Featured Websites
You can read about these sites in more details here.
JLE-UK - Email discussion group
Anyone who is teaching Japanese or interested in this area can join JLE-UK, our email discussion group. This allows list members to network and exchange views and information, including practical teaching tips. You can also find out about our upcoming courses and events for teachers. To join, just email email@example.com, with your name and a brief sentence. Please note the Japan Foundation provides this discussion group as a service to the public. We cannot take responsibility for any damages and/or inconvenience of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information provided through this service.
- Yookoso, Tsunematsu-sensei!
- Introduction to NEW resources for primary Japanese Scheme of Work
- The Ishinomaki Children’s Newspaper - English translations now online
- 2014 Japanese Refresher Course for Teachers
- Japan Foundation at Hyper Japan 2014
- Japanese Taster for Schools (JTS) Programme Volunteer Training Day September 2014
- September 2014 Japan Foundation-JGap Seminar
- Introduction to Flipped Learning for GCSE-level Japanese with Anne Rajakumar
- Japanese Plus Special: Friend or Foe? Understanding Japanese Thought and Culture through Yōkai
Use of Conference Room
Non-profit making organisations can request to use our conference room and meeting rooms for meetings and events relating to Japan and Japanese. Please contact us for more information.