Courses and Events - Japanese Language Courses
For a calendar of upcoming courses and events only, see our What’s On page.
For Japanese language courses aimed specifically at non-native Japanese language teachers, please click here
Marugoto Japanese Language & Culture Course is for beginners of Japanese. It is based on the JF Standard for Japanese Language Education, rather than traditional methods of language education that focus on grammar and sentence structure. The aim of the course is to use Japanese language skills to get to know people, visit restaurants and take part in many other Japan-related events. The course does not focus on language alone; learning Japanese culture is also an important element in the lessons. In addition to the Marugoto textbook, learners also have access to the Marugoto Plus supplementary website to help them review and practise their new language skills.
This course is perfect for beginners of Japanese who would like to use their new language skills in practical situations, and to really connect with Japanese society.
Japanese from Scratch is a series of Japanese language and culture workshops from the Japan Foundation London, suitable for those who are interested in learning Japanese but haven't started yet, or those who have just started learning.
Workshops are held for a single evening several times a year, and each workshop focuses on a different theme. By exploring different aspects of Japanese culture, participants not only deepen their knowledge of Japan, but also learn basic Japanese language skills.
Past Japanese from Scratch workshops include:
- May 2015 - "Sweet Talk Your Way in Japan!"
- December 2013 - "Let's eat Ramen!"
- March 2013 "Shodo - An Introduction to Japanese Calligraphy"
- August 2012 - "Travel in Japan"
- March 2012 - "Let's Eat Japanese Food!"
Japanese Plus is a Japanese language course designed for adult learners interested in updating and refreshing their knowledge about Japan whilst practising their Japanese language skills in a series of evening classes at the Japan Foundation London. Whilst providing a genuine chance to look behind some of Japan's cultural issues, the course will also provide you with an ideal opportunity to improve all four skills of Japanese. The course level is aimed at learners with a Japanese level of approx. JLPT Level 2 / N2 and above.
Past Japanese Plus courses include:
- April 2015: Talk About Music In Japanese
- November 2014: Friend or Foe? Understanding Japanese Thought and Culture through Yokai
- July 2014: Japanese for Jobs
- February 2014: See Japan through Video Game Characters with Tomohiro Sasaki
- November 2013: Business Japanese & Japanese Etiquette
- June 2013: Happy Family Plan - Learn spoken Japanese through film
- February - March 2013 - "An Introduction to Professional Japanese Interpreting"
- February 2013 - One Evening Special: "Add Colour to your Japanese"
- November 2012 - "An Introduction to Professional Japanese Translation"
- June 2012 - "Japanese Dialects"
- February-March 2012 - "Read and Write Japanese Newspapers"
Our Japanese Plus course develops upon our now discontinued workshop series, "Talking Contemporary Japan." To read about our past Talking Contemporary Japan seminars, please click here