As of April 2015, the book loan service for Full Members has been resumed although our library is still closed due to our relocation to a temporary office. Unlike the previous library there is no space for a reference area, so we are unable to receive visitors to our office without prior appointment for receiving materials. While we are located at the temporary office, the reference service for Reference members has been suspended.
For any enquiries related to the library, please contact Japanese Language Resource Officer Narumi Yano at email@example.com.
Only Full Members who are Japanese language teachers and trainee teachers at all levels, researchers in fields related to Japanese language teaching, and administrators at UK educational institutions may use the loan service to borrow materials. Learners of Japanese at higher education institutions can also apply.
Membership of the book borrowing service is free of charge, provided that the membership criteria below are satisfied.
UK residents who are:
- Teaching Japanese language at a UK educational institution or at a UK voluntary organisation, or teaching Japanese as a private tutor on a regular basis
- A researcher or instructor in researching Japanese language, Japanese language teaching or Japanese studies at a UK educational institution
- Working in a UK educational institution and need access to the library to carry out duties
- Individuals studying Japanese language or Japanese studies at a UK university, including those enrolled on elective courses, evening classes etc.
- Trainee teachers enrolled on any teaching programme leading to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) certification, or students of Japanese language teacher training programmes in the UK.
To apply for full membership, please complete a Membership Application Form and provide all of the following:
- One form of identification bearing the applicant’s name and current address (e.g. driving license, bank statement or gas/electricity/telephone bill within 6 months)
- Proof of eligibility (e.g. staff ID or student card, letter of recommendation signed by employer or other individual stating that you are teaching Japanese etc.)
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
Applications can be sent by post.
Renewal of Membership: Please provide your library card and a renewal application form as well as one form of identification bearing your name and current address. No photographs are required.
Please click here to see the current book list.
Please click here to see the JLPT resource list.
Please note: The Japan Foundation has no proprietary interest in any of the publications mentioned and inclusion on these lists does not constitutes a recommendation, nor do these lists claim to be comprehensive.
1.Complete a Reservation Form
Please include ‘Membership information’, ‘Book information’ and ‘Desired receiving date and time’ on the Reservation Form. Please click here to download a Reservation Form.
You can collect your reserved material on Tuesdays and Thursdays (UK and certain Japanese public holidays excluded) from 2pm to 5pm
2．Submit the Reservation Form
Please send the Reservation Form to the e-mail address or fax number as follows. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 020 3102 5022
3．Confirm the reservation
After the circulation status is confirmed, we will send you a confirmation of the reservation period as well as details on how to collect the reserved books.
Period of loan
Up to 2 weeks (No extension available)
Please let us know in advance when you will come to our office in order to return the books during the period of loan. You can return the borrowed materials from 10am to 5pm on weekdays (UK and certain Japanese public holidays excluded).
Where to collect the books
Lion Court 25 Procter Street
Holborn, London WC1V 6NY
If you do not live or work in London and are unable to visit the library in person, we operate a 'loans by post service' which enables you to borrow up to 5 books for a period of up to 2 weeks. Please choose the books from the list above and complete the Reservation Form, then send it to us by email or fax. Japan Foundation London will cover postage and packaging charges for sending materials to your address. However, you will be responsible for covering the costs of sending the material back to the Japan Foundation London.