Welcome to the Japan Foundation London Library - the first resource of its kind in the UK, providing access to a wide range of contemporary Japanese language teaching materials.
The library is primarily designed to serve Japanese language teachers and teachers to be at all levels, researchers in fields related to Japanese language teaching and administrators at UK educational institutions. Learners of Japanese in higher education can also use the library. Those who are interested in Japanese language and Japanese culture are welcome to use the library on a reference basis.
The collection includes textbooks, reference books, picture panels, periodicals, books on linguistics and Japanese language teaching, audio-cassettes, videos and computer-assisted learning packages.
Please click here to see the latest new additions to the library collection.
Previous new additions:
We have published a list of textbooks designed for those studying for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). Please click here to view.
Please note: The Japan Foundation has no proprietary interest in any of the publications mentioned and inclusion on these lists does not constitutes a recommendation, nor do these lists claim to be comprehensive. All titles can be borrowed from the Japan Foundation London Language Centre library.
Book Purchase Request Form
The Japan Foundation London is constantly updating our teaching and learning resources for Japanese language education. If you do not find the resources you require, you may request them by filling in this Book Purchase Request Form. Please ntoe that the library may decide against purchasing the item that you have requested.
There are two categories of membership, full membership with borrowing rights and reference-only membership. The memberships are valid for one year. To apply for membership, please complete an application form and provide appropriate documents. Applications can also be sent by post. Please read the Guide for Users before applying.
Only members of the library may borrow library materials. Membership of the library is free of charge, provided that the membership criteria below are satisfied.
UK residents who are:
- teaching Japanese language at a UK educational institution or at a UK voluntary organisation, or teaching Japanese as a private tutor on a regular basis
- a researcher or instructor in researching Japanese language, Japanese language teaching or Japanese studies at a UK educational institution
- working in a UK educational institution and need access to the library to carry out duties
- Individuals studying Japanese language or Japanese studies at a UK university, including those enrolled on elective courses, evening classes etc.
- Trainee teachers enrolled on any teaching programme leading to Qualifed Teacher Status (QTS) certification, or students of 'Japanese language teacher training programmes' in the UK.
To apply for full membership, please complete Full Membership Application Form and provide all of the following:
- One form of identification bearing the applicant’s name and current address (e.g. driving licence, bank statement or gas/electricity/telephone bill within 6 months)
- Proof of eligibility (e.g. staff ID or student card, letter of recommendation signed by employer or other individual stating that you are teaching Japanese etc.)
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
Renewal of Membership: Please provide your library card and a renewal application form as well as one form of identification bearing your name and current address. No photographs are required.
If you are a UK resident but are not eligible for full membership, you may become a reference member. Reference members may not borrow library materials but may use the library materials and facilities for reference purposes. Reference membership cards are issued to these users.
To apply for reference membership, please complete a Reference Member Application Form on your first visit and bring proof of ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, staff ID or student card). You should notify the library of any changes to your name, address or name of institution as soon as they occur.
The library is part of the Japan Foundation London office, at:
Russell Square House
10-12 Russell Square
London WC1B 5EH
Library opening hours:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
Tuesdays: 2pm to 7pm
The library will be closed at weekends. In addition, we will close on the following English and Japanese National Holidays in 2014:
- 1st January
- 2nd January
- 3rd January
- 21st March
- 18th April
- 21st April
- 5th May
- 6th May
- 26th May
- 21st July
- 25th August
- 15th September
- 13th October
- 3rd November
- 25th December
- 26th December
- 29th December
- 30th December
- 31st December
If you are unable to visit the library in person, we operate a 'loans by post service' which enables you to borrow up to 5 books and 2 audio-visual materials for a period of up to 3 weeks. All you have to do is to search our library catalogue on the Web and telephone, fax or email the librarian with your request.
JP Books' conditions for this discount are as follows:
- This discount will only be applied to customers in possession of a Japan Foundation London Library Full Membership Card.
- Please present the original Membership Card when requesting a discount. For orders made by phone or email, JP Books will accept a faxed or emailed copy of the original card.
- This discount does not apply to customers with an expired Membership Card.
- All customers that meet the above conditions will receive a 10% discount only on materials related to Japanese language studies and education.
- This offer excludes sale items.
- For every £4.00 spent on your purchase after applying the discount price at JP Books, you will receive a stamp on your stamp card.
- This discount cannot be applied in conjunction any other offer (for example, theMitsukoshi Member's Discount).
Click here to view JP Books' website
Click here to view Japan Centre's website