Welcome to the the Japan Foundation London Library - the first resource of its kind in the UK, providing access to a wide range o f contemporary Japanese language teaching materials.
The library is primarily designed to serve Japanese language teachers at all levels, researchers in fields related to Japanese language teaching and administrators at UK educational institutions. Learners of Japanese residing in the UK may also use the library on a reference-only basis.
The collection includes textbooks, reference books, picture panels, periodicals, books on linguistics and Japanese language teaching, audio-cassettes, videos and computer-assisted learning packages.
Please click here to see the latest new additions to the library collection.
Previous new additions:
NEW: JLPT Items
We have published a list of textbooks designed for those studying for the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). Please click here to view.
Please note: The Japan Foundation has no proprietary interest in any of the publications mentioned and inclusion on these lists does not constitutes a recommendation, nor do these lists claim to be comprehensive. All titles can be borrowed from the Japan Foundation London Language Centre library.
There are two categories of membership, full membership with borrowing rights and reference-only membership. The memberships are valid for one year. To apply for membership, please complete an application form and provide appropriate documents. Applications can also be sent by post. Please read the Guide for Users before applying.
Only members of the library may borrow library materials. Membership of the library is free of charge, provided that the membership criteria below are satisfied.
UK residents who are:
- teaching Japanese language at a UK educational institution or at a UK voluntary organisation
- researching Japanese language, Japanese language teaching or Japanese studies at a UK educational institution
- working in a UK educational institution and need access to the library to carry out duties
- MA, PhD and PGCE students specialising in Japan-related subjects at a UK university.
- One form of identification bearing the applicant’s name and current address (e.g. driving licence, bank statement or gas/electricity/telephone bill within 6 months)
- Proof of eligibility (e.g. reference letter from your school, staff card or postgraduate student card with valid expiry date.)
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
If you are a UK resident but are not eligible for full membership, you may become a reference member. Reference members may not borrow library materials but may use the library materials and facilities for reference purposes. Reference membership cards are issued to these users.
To apply for reference membership, please complete an application form (available here as PDF or Word versions) on your first visit and bring two recent passport-sized photographs and proof of ID (e.g. passport, driving licence, staff card or student card). You should notify the library of any changes to your name, address or name of institution as soon as they occur.
The library is part of the Japan Foundation London office, at:
Russell Square House
10-12 Russell Square
London WC1B 5EH
Library opening hours:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays: 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
Tuesdays: 2pm to 7pm
The library will be closed at weekends. In addition, we will close on the following English and Japanese National Holidays in 2013:
- 1st January
- 2nd January
- 3rd January
- 11th February
- 29th March
- 1st April
- 3rd May
- 6th May
- 27th May
- 15th July
- 26th August
- 23rd September
- 14th October
- 25th December
- 26th December
- 30th December
- 31st December
If you are unable to visit the library in person, we operate a 'loans by post service' which enables you to borrow up to 5 books and 2 audio-visual materials for a period of up to 3 weeks. All you have to do is to search our library catalogue on the Web and telephone, fax or email the librarian with your request.
JP Books' conditions for this discount are as follows:
- This discount will only be applied to customers in possession of a Japan Foundation London Library Full Membership Card.
- Please present the original Membership Card when requesting a discount. For orders made by phone or email, JP Books will accept a faxed or emailed copy of the original card.
- This discount does not apply to customers with an expired Membership Card.
- All customers that meet the above conditions will receive a 10% discount only on materials related to Japanese language studies and education.
- This offer excludes sale items.
- For every £4.00 spent on your purchase after applying the discount price at JP Books, you will receive a stamp on your stamp card.
- This discount cannot be applied in conjunction any other offer (for example, theMitsukoshi Member's Discount).
Click here to view JP Books' website
Click here to view Japan Centre's website